Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Technology and the Outdoors




As technology continues to advance the outdoor lover has to ask themselves if they will embrace or reject the new advances they can take into the outback with them.

I am presently overlooking a beautiful drainage, watching the sun dip behind the Boise Mountains and typing up this blog entry; all while waiting for an elk to walk out of the trees and fill my freezer for the winter.

I checked the distance to my home from here on my Garmin GPS, and thanks to Blackberry and Verizon I checked my emails too.

I am definitely in the camp that says embrace technology. If you keep your perspective right this improves your life. For example, I needed to approve a Power Point presentation for a seminar I am conducting tomorrow night. Rather than make a guilty decision to put it off and go hunting, I was able to check it from up on the mountain.

Am I a workaholic? Absolutely not, but I do have to work. This technology is not giving me more work, it is giving me more time in the woods. Consequently, when I get home to my family tonight I will not have to take time from them to complete work I should have been doing while I was out hunting.

Speaking of technology my Nikon Monarch binoculars have coated lenses and prisms for better low light visibility......that reminds me, the sun just dipped below the Boise Mountains. I better get busy glassing....the photos attached are the before and after sunset photos of this little drainage....

Just as an add on……no elk last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment